There has been a church at this site since at least 937, however, none of this structure
seems to have survived into the Norman church, which was built in the 11th century.
This seems to have been a similar design to the current church, although probably
not quite on the same scale; it consisted of a nave, chancel, north and south transepts
and a central tower.
The Norman church was replaced in the 15th century and is largely what we see today.
Rotherham Minster was built in the perpendicular style, the nave is graced with
eight slender pillars with green men carved in amongst the foliage in the capitals,
and graceful arches, the nave roof is of oak with 77 differently carved bosses.
It is interesting to note that when construction started on the central crossing
tower, the foundations were not correctly aligned and so they had to disguise some
“jiggery pokery” by adding foliage designs to the columns.
The main font is Victorian, however the Norman font, dating from around 1100 is in
the Jesus Chapel.
The misericords, dating from 1483 are placed at the west end of the Chancel.