There has been a church at this site since at least 1089, when records show that
a rectory was granted to the nearby Benedictine priory at Micklesgate; this indicates
that a church must have existed for some time, almost certainly dating back to the
Saxon period. The current church, started at this time consisted of a chancel and
a nave. As the city’s population grew, towards the end of the 12th century, an aisle
was added, this reused some of the Roman gritstone from the earlier settlements.
The early 13th century brought a reconstruction of the chancel, this was done in
the early English style. A second aisle was also added at this time.
In the first half of the 14th century, the area around the church became more affluent,
the chancel was again rebuilt, but far more lavishly tan before. The current east
window was created and both of the aisles were extended at this time.
The latter half of the 14th century started massive rebuilding, with the extension
of the nave, reconstruction of the arcades and the addition of the tower and the
magnificent octagonal lantern spire. It took, however until about 1440 for the works
to be finished, which left the church with its current look. The stall with its
misericord, that serves as the sedilia is the same date as the chancel ceiling and
bears the coat of arms and initials of rector John Gilyot, flanking a carving of
the Pelican in her Piety, a symbol favoured by the Corpus Christi guild, of which
Gilyot was master in 1472.